The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Polishing
In Response To: Polishing ()

Hi Ray,
Range sensitive topic this! I might get string up by the purists here!
But here goes!
Watch case polishing removes a layer of metal to restore the original shine and finish off the watch. It's an art as a bad technique and knowledge can ruin a watch case for good. However a good watchsmith can restore a seemingly battered case and breathe new life into it. (Do a search 'autavia gmt before and after' ).
I would recommend only polishing a watch case if you are starting with somthing battered and junked, with the aim of restoring the entire watch to its factory glory. A polished case but worn out dial and bezel looks....odd at best.
If you have a watch which has taken a few knocks and scratches then I would recommend leave it that way as that adds character to a watch. Purists belive never Polish a watch case, and many wouldn't touch a watch if they suspect its been polished.
In the end is a matter of personal choice, and whether you plan to sell the watch in the future. ..

Hope this helped.

Cheers

: Hello All!

: Please educate me on watch case polishing. Is it ever appropriate?
: When is it appropriate? How does it impact the value of the
: watch? What else does one need to know if considering polishing?

: Thanks,

: RayP

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE