The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Tricky one Adam

I have yet to see a redial where I would have been personally happy with the work on a standard dial, let alone one of any personal significance.

Do you have any photos showing the extent of the damage?

What I would consider is getting a decent stock dial and having the refinisher simply apply the McLaren text to that, rather than trying to restore an entire damaged dial. It's entirely possible that the text was applied after the original dials had been printed, rather than being intended as McLaren commemorative dials from day 1 anyway, so in this fashion you would be replicating part of the original process rather than asking a restorer to nail the fine details of a dial that was printed, not hand painted. Which they never seem to quite manage anyway...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE