The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Another Approach . . .

Jonny:

I have also spent some time today, pondering this situation . . . we won't cry over the lost dial; maybe some day you will find it; but let's assume that you won't.

My suggestion -- think of the watch case and other remaining elements as the keepsake of your inheritance from your father, and replace the dial with a genuine Autavia dial, either a Viceroy or some other dial from a 1163 Autavia. True, it will not look like the Siffert, but all parts will be authentic, and you won't have a refinished dial poke you in the eye, every time you look at it.

Some people can be happy with a refinished dial. Other folks, like me, have a real aversion to them. Perhaps you can be happy with the "custom" Autavia, with the dial from a parts bin, and some day you will get lucky to find the proper dial.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Jonny - I have followed your sad story and the loss of the
: original dial. Further bad news is that finding a genuine
: replacement will take either a huge gesture of goodwill from
: someone lucky enough to have a spare or remarkable luck either
: finding your lost dial or another one out there wherever there
: might be. There was a time when the odd dial would pop up for
: sale but as prices have skyrocketed so too has this opportunity
: dried up. Your best option is to find a suitable 1163 dial
: (Viceroy) which are available and a someone who can refinish the
: dial to match the original. By going down this road the hour
: markers and date frame will be correct. Let us know how you get
: on.
: regards
: Paul
: www.heuerworld.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE