The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Sorry but...
In Response To: Sorry but... ()

Wow thats abit harsh😊

After reading all replies (which I appreciate and respect your views), i have the following thoughts

I did say it would be reversible. Think of collectible modern cars. Quite a few have wraps on the body. Some clear to show original color, some a totally different color and sheen. An objective other than having a color that owner desires at that point in time, is it preserves the original factory paint which is a premium on resale.

So with a sticker (that is removable) you dont destroy the watch (especially anodised) but actually preserve that said part covered from further wear/fade. For this model i believe theres premium for darker bezel color. Its not too different from putting a plastic non original case back sticker to preserve the back (which i do on all watches). Or the other thing I do which is to remove any original straps/buckles and bracelets and keep them aside (to preserve them) and use the watches with non original straps/bracelets, which in the strictest purist sense detracts from original intention too, but i think many do it and even with totally different looking ones.

Another parallel for mega dollar investments are stradivari and guarneri violins. Almost all have a protective clear coat varnished on. Or porsches with rare magnesium cup wheels or fuch wheels which are set aside and replaced with look alikes or other wheels for use (to preserve the original wheels in current state)

When i started collecting watches the dual objectives were to use them and keep them in a state no worse than when I got them. Its an investment too and heirloom (kids will get to pick 2 of their favorites each and the rest I will sell when too old to enjoy them).

Anyway I see the positive side of the strong reactions on this board as I can rely on views from members that are steadfast in originality of collectibles. But my tongue in cheek comments are meant to keep things light and not meant to offend or troll (other than creating frankens which i hope everyone realises its a joke cos its so obvious)

Anyway thankful to have this board and members that create resources so helpful to a new collector. Have difficulty checking on many other watch brands eg. Blancpain & triton divers that i am currently searching for.

If moderator (think its jeff?) deems fit to remove the thread, by all means. I wont be offended. Preserve the peace!

: ...DON'T PLEASE!

: With all respect, it would be a crime to alter this wonderful
: watch. This is as manly a watch as there is. If you really have
: to prove that you are not girly please, instead of altering the
: watch simply punch anyone who calls you "girly"
: because you are wearing this watch right in the nose.

: I honestly can't even believe we are having this discussion on this
: bulletin board.

: Sorry, if this post is deemed not to be respectful by the
: moderators please feel free to delete it...

: JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE