The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Setting the watch accurately
In Response To: Setting the watch accurately ()

: It looks like the quest for these cases has
: come to an end. Oh well. Worth a try.

: Can I ask a question about setting the watch to
: an accurate time source. I notice that when
: I pull the crown out, the second hand does
: not stop. I've read an article in Time Zone
: reviewing the Moonwatch and they have
: suggested putting pressure on the crown to
: stop the seconds.

: I've tried this and the movement stops
: completely. Am I doing any harm to the
: movement by holding this position for about
: 10 - 60 seconds? Also, what sort of accuracy
: does the Lemania movement have? Would you
: place the watch overnight in different
: positions to see how it affects the loss or
: gain of seconds over the 24hrs?

: Steve
Hi Steve. Very good, Yes "differant Postions" and keep notes!
Not sure what Lemania you have, 1340 type autos can be regulated to with in 1 to 3 second a day. a 5100s One of my faves, is not as accuate sorry to say. with in 3 to even 10 sec. aday.
And if you ahve a man wind it could also be as good as1 to 3 sec. a day. but this is with a good serviced and mostly well regulated movement.
and with you finding the postions, it will help a GOOD Watchmaker get to what you may want. But these are older and if not serviced correctly may have rund dry and then you may have wear that will make for bad poseition errors.

As fare as hack setting in the manner you said, it is fine to do so. I would recommend you set it with its main spring unwound. Just my way. some say it does not matter. BUt if you saw the works in there you would know that it does load up if wound

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE