The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: This One Surprised Me / Story in Four Parts *PIC*

Thank you for your response

I took the time to read Kav earlier post about vintage watches and collectors and let me say I agree with your thoughts….I’m included in the batch of new collectors. I start collecting almost 5 years ago, although my passion with horology comes from when I was about 16 (I’m 38 now), but than I did not have the means to buy watches.

I believe that there’s a hype (trend?) towards vintage watches right now and Kav’s theory about uneducated new collectors with fat wallets and internet (ebay) are an explosive combination with a big aftermath on market prices. A friend of mine had an heuer watch to sell ( in fact this watch was posted in the sales corner http://chronocentric.com/forums/chronotrader/index.cgi?read=583 and I hosted his pics ) and asked for advice on how much he should sell. I told him to sell for 500~600US as I though this was the average market price for this watch. Well, he made some searches on ebay and decided to sell for 1000US as he believed that was the right price (I told him he would never sell at that price…). Meanwhile the watch was listed on ebay and was sold there for 910US (?)…

I’ve been following seafarers for some time but the prices are just too high and the condition poor…..

Here's a treat i was able to find and buy in 2004 for about 800Euro. I believe it is a fine price, though the case is a bit overpolished and the crown is not original (correct diameter, although it is marked heuer...). However the dial is MINT and the movement is like NOS and probably was never serviced before i took it to my watchmaker to rum a complete service on her...

Oh, BTW, aren’t dealers great?!...;-)

Regds
FM

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE