The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Possible answers to some of the Questions

:
: A few questions / reactions: I believe that the
: table will only have its full value with full serial numbers. In
: my experience, spreadsheets and databases do not work well with
: the XXX characters,

I have developed a spreadsheet that handles this, and puts an XXX in the proper sequence if its real number is known.

:There
: are also issues of confidentiality. I have some serial numbers
: in my spreadsheet that have been submitted, on the condition
: that they be maintained as confidential. It will be important
: for us to agree on the fields of data being presented in the
: database.

My spreadsheet handles this too.

What I have done is split storage and public presentation, this example uses Peter's data but modified to present more cases -- Do not use for navigation!

First picture is the raw data sheet.

Here is a blow-up of part of it:

The Serial is split across three columns, prefix, real suffix and display suffix. Reference has been similarly split to improve sort by Reference, and Owner has been split into real and display also.
Here is the Display sheet still in the order of entry of the watches:

Now we sort the raw data using only the columns A and B:

And here's the result:

In more detail:

If anyone can thing of improvements or would a copy of the spreadsheet just email me.

One caveat, I do not have a copy of MS-Excel to try this with, but all the functions I've used are documented as "Excel compatible"

Mike

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE