The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

And another comment (A little long)

"I paid around $2,600 (pre-tax) for the

Seamaster" "My submariner set me back

5,175.00 (pre-tax)"

And, this is one of the reasons that us here on this and other Omega forums have a "beef" with Rolex. Does it really suprise you that you THINK you have a better watch on your wrist? You paid twice as much for the Sub. Considering that most people have the illusion that if they pay MORE for something, then it has to be a better product. This has been debated here endlessley, and indeed, this site's purpose was to educate people on the whole range of watches and their pros and cons so that we could make informed VALUE decisions, not impulse or decisions based on MARKETING hype.

"i think that is hard for the people on this
: post to comprehend because MOST of you on
: this forum want to say negative things about
: rolex everytime you get the chance-or at
: least try to agree with someone who has.
: this is the only forum i frequent where
: omega owners never want to admit the quality
: of a rolex. i am on rolex forums where the
: members have said in several posts that
: omegas are also great watches-but FEW of the
: members on this forum will ever say that
: about a rolex"

Ok, umm, look at the forum Title - OMEGA forum. WE are a little biased here, but nonetheless for the most part we agree that Rolex makes VERY FINE TIMEPIECES, and give them kudos for making most everyone in the world THINK that Rolex is the best watch in the world. Clearly this is not the case. I too and others here are frequenters on other Omega Formus where usually there is open and intelligent debate about the quality of both brands, in fact, one of the "other" Omega forum moderators swears by his Sea Dweller, and we are ok with that.

Now, to your assertion that you "feel" that your Rolex is just made better. I have an Omega Planet Ocean, that I consider one of the finest dive watches on the market today. Every time I look at it, I am just stunned by the quality of the watch, from the case, to the dial, to the accuaracy of the movement, to the bracelet. Top to bottom, an OUTSTANDING timepiece. In my opinion, throw out the movement of each timepiece, and you have a watch that is EQUAL in all aspects to the quality of the Submariner, with a much greater depth rating. I do not own a Sub, but tried one on Many, Many times before I bought my first Omega. I personally did not feel that there was enough of a quality difference to justify the exorbitant price of the Sub. In fact my realization, as other Omega Owners have come to realize also, is that when buying a Rolex, its like you are buying cash. It is THE most widely recognized watch in the world, and buyers are willing to pay for that notoriaty.

Now, when you make a comment like, most people here bash Rolex and refuse to admit that they make great watches, I feel is simply wrong. What you see is more that Omega owners appreciate the VALUE of their watches more and really see that Rolex's are overpriced and don't mind pointing out that fact (not that Rolex watches are not fine timepieces). I mean, come on, even you have to admit that the Rolex commercial that boasts that each one takes a year to make is simply false advertising, as they are just another mass produced product.

Ok, now to the "movement" issue that I did not address earlier. I think one of the major perceived differences between Omega and Rolex is the quality and robustness of the movements, and the "in-house" build. F. Piguet aside, I personally feel that the Modified ETA 2892-A2 coaxial movement of my Planet Ocean is a very high quality movement. Is it a Rolex 3135? Nope, but a high quality movement. The PO retails for $3400, the sub for $5175, a $1775 difference(Much greater difference with 15-30% discounts offered on the PO). IT DOES NOT COST THAT MUCH MORE TO MFG a 3135 movement, nor is the movement, or the watch, or the company $2000 better. Does "in house" mean anything more? Not to me personally, and if this is such an issue to get hung up on, then why don't SEIKO watches command the same prices as ROLEX? They are all made "in house" too.

By all means, please enjoy both of your watches, and we welcome your comments on your ownership experiences of both, either negative or positive. I just wanted you to know MY opinion on some of your comments, and some of the issues surrounding the Omega v Rolex debate. Personally, I would love to own a Submariner, but for the price of one, I could get a Planet Ocean and a Speedmaster professional(after readily available 20% discounts). I consider the Sub a VERY FINE ICONIC timepiece, but it is NOT better than a Planet Ocean, nor is it better than the equally iconic Speedy Pro, and I would much rather have both of those over one Sub. But thats just my personal opinion.

Messages In This Thread

Co-axial technology, a bad coice after all!
Re: Co-axial technology, a bad coice after all!
I always have to question the logic
Some comments
The Co-Axial Is Fine...
Re: The Co-Axial Is Fine...
I can't agree with this statement
Re: I can't agree with this statement
As do all other brands
ADMIN! OK Guys. it's time for me to step in :-(
You're A Troll....
coaxial is too new to be judged as fully fine
Re: coaxial is too new to be judged as fully fine
Doubt the Co-Ax to blame, it's probably the c.3313
more thoughts and agreements
Thoughts, some agreements and disagreements...
Re: Doubt the Co-Ax to blame, it's probably the c.
Re: Doubt the Co-Ax to blame, it's probably the c.
I guess experiences differ as mine with Rolex was
Re: I guess experiences differ as mine with Rolex
Thanks Tim, honestly
Re: Thanks Tim, honestly
Thanks tim, good to see others with
No Problem
Hey Tim, sounds like we are on the same page
Absolutely
Agree
Service after sale comment
the price of the rolex and co-axial
I guess it is all subjective but personally
Re: the price of the rolex and co-axial
And another comment (A little long)
I agree with this 100% Cajun
I agree Cajun, possibly if
some thoughts
As usual Georges I will have to disagree
Re: As usual Georges I will have to disagree
And we continue to disagree....
Re: And we continue to disagree....
and again
It means to direct, concise and to the point...
chuck is right at 100%
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE