The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Gosh, so many quizzes here lately. ;)
In Response To: More vintage than not . . . ()

: 1) Why vintage?
Little bit vouyeuristic nostalgia for the craftsmanship of a past era, little bit of exclusivity that comes with wearing something that can't be found on just any ol' store shel and requires knowledge to appreciatef, little bit the thrill of the hunt of pursuing and researching vintage watches.

: 2) What was the last vintage you wore?
Nice little Hamilton Lexington, a recent lucky eBay find. Not only does it have a US-made movement and was it the first Hamilton steel-cased wristwatch, but my grandfather wore an identical model fighting in Europe as an infantryman in WWII. I went for this one and got it at a great price thinking I would cannibalize it for spares to restore my grandfather's, but this one's in good enough condition and shape that I think it would be a shame so I've left it as is:

: 3) And if not Omega, what was the last vintage Omega you wore?

A poorly redialed c.353 Seamaster from 1953, my first purchase before I had managed to gain much knowledge or sophistication about what to buy and what not to buy:

: 4) If you don't have a vintage watch at all, which of your watches
: will be treasured by collectors 20 years from now?

Not sure I have any that fit the bill as most of my modern watches are unremarkable and don't quite fit the bill.

Maybe this one:

A Soviet-made Vostok "Radio Room" circa 1990 that just barely squeaks by into "modern" characterization, but in truth it's probably more novelty than treasure.

*Maybe* the 2254.50:

(Shamelessly stolen photo and I've forgotten whom I should credit)

Though the movement is the somewhat unremarkable ETA-based 1120, these have enjoyed a resurgence since rumors that they would be discontinued started. Maybe unremarkable, but just a few years ago a '70s Rolex Submariner 5513 was also considered unremarkable but now they're the darling of the collecting world...

Might have been the X-33, but it's gone onward to a new home:

My uncertainty about whether it would be appreciated like the mechanical Speedmaster was among my reasons for letting it go though. It may well still be regarded years from now as "just" a quartz watch, much like it was during its retail life cycle. Hard to say...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE