The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I am satisfied with the current tack in this...

Re: Observation: Everyone please read! Posted By: David Jones Date: 8/9/05 14:24 GMT In Response To: Observation: Everyone please read! (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Chuck

Hi David...

The comment was made in jest (on a beautifull sunny morning)

It was impossible to tell from your first post what your intentions were. At best, your post was blunt and frankly at worst it comes across as rude for little or no reason. If you had included a smiley or a "I kid" such might have taken the edge off of your post.

Determining tone in an text only medium is often difficult because vocal and "body language" cues are not posted. What's left is the text you posted. Curt, short and/or blunt typically causes the similar reactions that ruxpin and I had to your reply.

and had it been otherwise I would have followed up the reply from 'ruxpin' in a slightly more robust fashion!

Ok... I'll accept that.

I hold no grudges and still attempted to assist as you can see from the thread.

As I said, my post was an observation that the particular sentence in question was not helpful. I don't believe that is in contention. It saves more than one person effort by omiting those elements in a reply before clicking on the "Post Message" button. Just so you know...

I'm not mad, angry or holding grudges either. But I really would rather not see a repeat of this.

Rather surprised by your intervention given we had moved on - but your judgement.

I started composing my reply to you prior to ruxpin's 13:32 GMT posting. I re-did my desktop machine's setup overnight and I'm not as speedy with my HTML replies as I usually am because I'm still getting this setup operational. (just so you know at 4:20am my time 9:20GMT this machine's primary hard drive was not bootable... it's a minor miracle I'm doing HTML so early this morning on it.) I also went through my response a couple of times refining it for the proper tone. Thus I was not aware of either of your more recent posts until after I had posted mine.

I do feel that my post was necessary and I know that if I (or anyone else for that matter) had posted a reply similar to your original, people would not be happy about it and would have said so loudly in the forum.

David

I am satisfied with the current tack in this thread and relieved this didn't escalate into a full blown flamewar that it looked like. I would like to thank you both for that and hope everyone will be mindful of these things in the future.

Enough said.

Carry on!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE