The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Do I have a fake Autavia?

: Hi

Firstly let me say from what we can see in your picture this looks to be a Genuine Watch. The hands,case and dial are all,to my mind,exactly as i would expect from this 1974 model,even to the luminous dots that have fallen off at 3 and 9 ! this is quiet normal.

The chamferred sharp edges that you refer to are always good to see, but the fact that your example doesn't have them can be explained in various ways, but most easily and expected is that the Chamferred edge is an area of the watch case which is easily subject to damage. The brushed surface that you see around the crystal can also get damaged, it is very common to see examples like yours where someone has refinished the polished chamferred edge whist attempting to refinish the surface around the crystal and has rounded off the chamferred edges,too become a brushed finish with no chamferred edges .
This is a sure sign that the case has had some work of some kind, but not an indication that the case is incorrect.
As David points out several manufacturers made cases for the Autavia,especially the Viceroy, these can be found on this site if you check out the Viceroy model and its different varients.
Typically the differences are around the pushers and in the depth of the case back, and not at all to do with the chamferred edges.
I stand to be corrected,as i cannot see the case from the side, but it all looks genuine to me.
Hope this helps and please feel free to ask anything else.
Kind regards
Bryan

. Hello eveyone.
: This is the first time that I've posted but
: I've been reading for a few months now.
: I've been comparing an Autavia that I recently
: bought to photos that are on On the Dash.
: After looking I'm worried that the case or
: the whole thing could be fake. The watch
: appears similar in most respects execpt for
: the case. The cases on the site show a
: sharp, chamferred (I think) edge and my case
: is just rounded over. I have included a link
: to a pic that isn't very good and will try
: to post some more as I get better. In the
: meantime any thoughts or telltale ways to id
: a genuine case would be welcome.

: Along with the case the chrono function does
: not stop or start properly and was wondering
: if any knows a good watch repair shop in the
: Tampa Bay area.

: Thanks in advance for any help.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE