The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Agree -- Heuer was Trying to Sell Watches
In Response To: catalog proof ()

I have come to the view that, on these Autavias, there were model / bezel combinations that were not shown in the catalogs. Heuer was trying to sell watches; if a customer wanted one with a Minute / Hour bezel (instead of the usual Tachy), or vice versa, I have heard that Heuer was eager to please. I am not certain whether it happened at the factory / at the distributor / with the dealer, but I believe that it happened a fair amount.

most comon example of this switching might be the Reference 1163 Viceroy (brushed steel hands, 12 numbers on the hour recorder, etc.) with the MH bezel. there's one of those sitting in the TAG-Heuer archives, but it ain't in a catalog and it hasn't been in the OTD reference tables.

seems that they were trying to sell these watches, more than being slaves to their catalogs, reference numbers, etc. so over time, I have refrained from calling it a "fake" based solely on the substitution of one Autavia bezel for another Autavia bezel.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I am not sure about catalogs being the only
: proof.

: I agree if a watch combination appears in the
: catalog it is 100% sure it was produced
: (anyone know of any exceptions?).

: But if a watch/bezel combination is not
: pictured, I don't think that we have proof
: that this watch was not produced. It seems
: to me Heuer produced alot of combinations of
: dial/bezel/hands/pushers so not always
: possible to have definitive answer.

: Then I think you are stuck with "does it
: feel right?" To me the combination of
: for this model of blck/blck dial and tachy
: bezel does not seem so weird, possible that
: Heuer made it...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE