The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Agree, quality &supply continues to fall

I have been collecting since 2000 (over 75 watches purchased in all, though rarely over 30 owned at once) and sold many even to some of our esteemed moderators. The one take away is that the quality of mint, nice or NOS vintage sport, divers, chronograph watches is declining every year and the # of shady sellers is increasing. In 2000, you could randomly log onto ebay and easily find a half dozen nice watches EVERY month, and the issue was do you buy them all or just the ones you are dieing for? And the rule was, sellers were gentlemanly, and some even mailed your package the day they got your check. For example in 1/01: you get see mint 70s Zenith El Primeros Squzre case for $800-1000, NOS BLack PVD Heuer Montreals for $800, mint Tudor pre-tigers with box for $1100, Flightmaster with box for $1000, mint DOXA 300T for $500 and a host of Autavia's of every kind...not to mention tons, did I say Tons of mid-tier Lemania & Valjoux based 60s & 70s Nivada, Bucherer, ELKA, Aquastar, Zodiac, Hamilton chronographs & Divers for $250-500, many NOS. German ebay was the gem, with many an old world jewelers' vaults being flung open and tasty treats being sold at modest sums. Well those days are sadly gone....and the days of flipping 60% of what you buy, being disappointed on box-opening, and having to argue with crooks (some of whom lurk here, yes) over obvious service issues on watches that take $100s to correct. Nevertheless, with a super sharp eye and stomach you can still find gems; this past year I bought 8 watches; half were diamonds in the rough; 1-2 were really nice, and rest will be eventually sold. It was fun; and its still a good hobby....where else can you tie up your money (sometimes a lot of it) for 1-2yrs, and get it ALL back plus some. Remember, these are assets (not really appreciating) and you can always sell....can't say that about that overpriced vacation or that expensive date! Happy New Year!

Messages In This Thread

the year in review - the year ahead
Agree, quality &supply continues to fall
Excellent Discussion / A Couple of Thoughts
my 2c
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE