The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Favorite Watch

Well, I've been thinking about this question for a week, while the house burned and work was put to the side. But based on some testing (wearing the watches) and a lot of thinking, here it is, my favorite watch, the one that I would keep, if I could only keep one.

Here's why this one is the "favorite", as we have defined that word:

• Great Looking . . . love the colors

• Legible and Functional . . . love the GMT hand; rotating bezel

• Comes with a Story . . . two hours with a Manhattan watch dealer (about which more later)

• Carries a Memory . . . bought it the day that our oldest left the nest, and I still track her with the GMT hand

• Historically Interesting . . . when the GMTs got their own unique red hands, instead of borrowing the brushed steel Viceroy hands

• Good Size . . . thinner than the later GMT cases

• Wearable . . . and if it gets beaten up, I have a brand new replacement bezel

• Some Imperfections . . . so it's OK to expose it to the elements

• An Autavia . . . you guys know I love them the most

• Makes Me Smile When I Wear It . . . I smile thinking that I own the rarest first execution Autavia, and I smile from the memories of some other ones, but this one makes me smile when I WEAR it . . . and in the end, isn't that what this collecting hobby is all about!!

Thanks for a lively discussion and for some interesting perspectives.

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

My Favorite Watch
Whew! I was about to type an APB!
Funny thing about favorites....
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE