The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
repair of val5

This is a large chrono movement for onthedash unit, well, the one I have is Mathey and was onthedash in an aircraft.

If I may ask for assistance in directing me to how to repair one item - thanks.

The main movement works fine, until something gets crosswise in the chrono reset. Then activating the chrono makes the entire movement stop. De-activate the chrono, and the movement comes alive again. I have narrowed the problem to the chrono reset lever that has a pivot just above the center chrono wheel - above=on the other side of the center chrono wheel from the balance wheel. The pivot is basically directly up but slightly to the right in the val5 picture at movements page here at onthedash. The lever and pivot in question has a large brass looking bushing with a shiney center pivot. I think this description should guide someone to the lever I am talking about. My lever is a little different as the movement is the Mathey Type 12 which has the "retoour en vol" flyback function which resets while the chrono is running. But, the lever is loose - it is loose on the pivot there where the large brass bush/bearing is. I can make all things work fine for a while by touching the lever and jockey the lever out of its disfunctional position.

Can someone assist me in how to fix this? I presume this lever pivot can be renewed, but I don't know how to begin getting that pivot and lever out of the movement.
Thanks
DanG ChicagoARea

Messages In This Thread

repair of val5
Re: repair of val5
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE