The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Quartz vs Chronometer
In Response To: Quartz vs Chronometer ()

: I know this message will angry some Omega fans,
: but when I compare a Quartz Seamaster
: 2541.80 to an Auto version 2531.80 I find:

: 1. Both look physically the same (unless
: someone really notices the chronometer word
: missing on your watch dial)

This is true!

: 2. Bracelets are the same

Also true

: 3. Both have the same water resistance

Also true

: 4. Quartz is less heavy and less expensive than
: Auto version (25% less)

This is also true, although the weight difference is irrelavent IMHO. The watch is less expensive because the movement is less expensive.

: 5. Quartz is more accurate on time

This is certainly true. But that can also be said of a $30 (USD) Timex. If price/accuracy is your benchmark,than the quartz SMP is also extremely overpriced.

Having said that, my SMP auto is within 4 seconds of the last time I set it 5 months ago.

: 6. Quartz doesn't need winding or shaking evey
: day

First, automatic watches shouldn't be shaken.

Second, I haven't had to wind my SMP in 5 months. If you wear it, it doesn't need winding.

Third, when your battery does go on your SMP, all the winding or shaking in the world won't make it work until you get a new one.

: 7. Quartz is better shock proof

Perhaps. Not sure about that. My SMP has fallen several feet to a vinyl covered concrete floor 3 time (yes I'm clumsy) without a problem.

: 8. Quartz will cost you a new battery every 3
: years, but who cares?

True, and you forgot to mention that maintenance on an SMP is much higher, but... the seals that keep the quartz version water resistant have to be checked just as often. Also many people have the full maintenance performed on their autos after 4-5 years, reducing the cost and unavailability of the watch. .

: 9. Quartz does not produce funny noise when
: shaked

That 'funny noise' is the rotor winding the watch. Unless you walk around with your watch within an a few inches of your ear, you can't hear it.

: 10. Quartz has less moving parts, and less
: mechanical parts, or less wear.

While there may be less parts, your inference that it means less wear and therefore perhaps greater longevity is not necessarily true. In addition, when technology changes and spare parts and batteries are no longer available for the current crop of quartz watches, watchmakers will still be able to repair mechanical watches.

: Wonder why they call it the cheap version?

No thoughtful person would call the quartz version cheap. I chose not a buy quartz because it uses the same basic technology as a $10 watch and therefore held less interest.

At this price level, a watch is not just about telling time. If it was, no one would buy an expensive watch, and there would be only a few models available of cheap ones.

I did chose an automatic, not because of accuracy (although its certainly accurate enough) but because its driven by an engine which is the direct beneficiary of horological craftsmanship and art which goes back hundreds of years. Its a break from the electronic world that surrounds us today. I find that stimulating. To me quartz is boring.

: Please don't get frustrated about this.

I'm not frustrated. You're certainly entitled to your opinions. Both verions are very nice. One meets your needs, and the other mine. Enjoy

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE