The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Point Counterpoint
In Response To: Point Counterpoint ()

You and 10,007 others apparently love this watch. Who am I to argue with that? Style and taste is an individual thing. You taste in cars also differs significantly from mine. But thats OK. If we all liked the same cars and the same watches what a dull world this would be!

I think from the comments you've seen here that a number of posters regard this otherwise beautifully made, high quality, timepiece as an advertising gimic. As such many of us see it as not worthy of inclusion on our personal shortlist of watches we'd like to own.

In general, I avoid products where the logo is so prominent it overwhelms the product that its on, and becomes a fashion statement in itself. Being an advertising billboard for a product line is not only somewhat offensive, it makes me feel foolish.

This 007LE honestly impresses me as a fad item. I wear my SMP everyday. I like its understated elegance. I find it odd that Omega has a special edition celebrating its Bond relationship, but with a watch that has been modified significantly from the version actually used in the movies. Perhaps if only the back had been modifed, I would be more excepting.

Since this is an advertisment watch, I wonder if you'll still be wearing this timepiece on a regular basis in five years. While I of course could be wrong, I suspect you will have moved on to something else by then.

: Is it just me or am I sensing a little
: negativity here? ;-)

: Let me tell you what I'm bringing to this
: forum. I'm bringing a fresh perspective. I'm
: new to Omega having just found them about
: three months ago. I'm
: not new to high dollar watches having owned a
: Corum nerly 20 years ago. I ran across a pic
: of the 40th Anniversary James Bond 007 watch
: and loved it. I started ooking for more info
: on Omega and found this site among others. I
: liked the 007 watch already and then I saw a
: pic of the regular 2531.80.00. My first
: impression was that the waves were gimmicky.
: And they are. There is no denying it. They
: are gimmicky. There's no reason for them.
: They perform no function other than to
: differentiate the Seamaster from a hundred
: other diving watches.

: An analogy. In 1978, Chevrolet came out with a
: Limited Edition 25th Anniversary Pace Car
: Corvette (each Chevrolet dealer got only
: one). It differed from the regular 1978 in
: that it had a distictive two tone paint job
: (bottom half silver and top half
: black with a thin red line running between
: them) and a silver leather interior.

: The market went crazy over them. But the
: Corvette purists cried fowl! They said it
: was gaudy and not in keeping with their idea
: of the classic American sports car. The
: market disagreed and they were soon fetching
: $9,000 over the $12,000 sticker (a regular
: 1978 could be had for about $9,000). I
: bought one of those 5,000 Pace Cars with
: 10,000 miles on it in 1981 (for $12,500).
: I've been hooked on Corvettes ever since and
: I'm on my 4th one now.

: Once in a while a manufacturer needs something
: new, something unique that will excite the
: marketplace. IMO, Omega has breathed some
: life into a dull, stagnant, stodgy line of
: watches. No, the 40th Anniversary 007 Model
: is not for everyone (obviously!). It is a
: watch for those of us who do not have our
: feet firmly planted in the past. It's for a
: person who appreciates fine jewelry, likes
: to have fun, and doesn't want to look like
: everyone else. It's for only 10,007 of us.
: :-)

: rambo

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE