The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
SomeThoughts...
In Response To: busy days..... ()

Chuck,

love the photos. Six months ago I bought a 3-subdial white& black Autavia like on your photo and am very, very happy with it. It's of an incredible nice quality and has a perforated band.

As I said in the previous "A Watch With A Story" thread my 3-Register White Dial Autavia came with a short 18mm or 19mm band. Fortunately, I managed to win an auction for a proper Autavia band shortly there after...

Does yours have a blue or an orange seconds hand? Can't tell it from the photo.

Both of the examples pictured have Blue hands in a shade close to "Prussian Blue":

Are there more colors as far as you know?

More colors? On the dial? On the hands? I know that Heuer produced the Autavia in several colors (black, navy blue, brown (I believe) and even case colors: Stainless, Black PVD, Olive PVD, PVD Silver and Gold, but I think for the most part the main hands are pretty much either stainless with black, blue or red centers, and the Chronograph Second hand is typically White, Red, or in this case a shade between baby and medium blue.

The Autavia Master Reference Table would seem to shed the most light on this... According to it. There were three flavors of the 7736 based model (73663), A Black dial with White Subs, an All Black Dial (Black Subs too), and the example I own the Black-Eyed White Dial.

Can you tell me from when to when they were made?

All appear in catalogs in 1972 and 1974 so definately between those two years and probably a little on either side.

I'm on the hunt for a two-subdial automatic now. Was one of the bidders on the one you eventually won (congrats!)but eventually bought a nice Carrera Dato 45 with one subdial, date aperture at 9 o'clock ( thanks again Loek for selling it, whenever you read this)in the same time period.

Congrats on the Carrera Dato 45!

Last week I won a great Monaco with silver dial( Calibre 15)and one black subdial for only USD 1400,-. Two weeks before I saw a same type Monaco going for USD 3000,-. I think it was Stewart Kay who sold that one.Couldn't believe my eyes. I had given in my last bid 24 hrs before the end of the auction, expecting to be outbid by at least 1000 USD. Very nice Christmas gift that was.Guess you have be be lucky now and then.

And congrats on the Monaco. As I mentioned in the "A Watch and a Story" posting, I have more in repairs and restoration on this watch than the cost of the watch, but I do sure enjoy her now that she is looking good!

Best regards

Cheers and Good Hunting!

Ron

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE