The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Drivers *LINK*

: Bradley
: FWIW, I would be interested in finding out
: which drivers wore which Heuers when. It
: might even be worth compiling a collection
: of info and images for the site.
: I can tell you that the great Jackie Stewart
: was a Rolex guy.
: Allen

OK, sorry, so I knee-jerked when I saw "teaser quote from the seller" questioning the authenticity of my watch. I appologize. As for drivers, go to this link. During the 60s and 70s, each class winner at the runoffs at Road Atlanta (which determines the national championship) was awarded a Heuer chronograph. In 1970, Dato 45s were presented to all National Champions. I saw this article on the internet, and convinced my pal John Morton to sell me his 45 Dato. He wore it during his win at Daytona (driving an Otto Zipper Ferrari Daytona), during his LeMans win ('86) and durring all 3 of his Sebring wins. He said it was "easy to read during a race" because of the contrasting colors. It still had the original strap/box/buckle when I got it! It is almost as nice as the ebay watch. Others that won Heuer Dato 45s in 1970 include Alfa Romeo ace Vic Provenzano, Porsche ace (and Siffert's pal) Milt Minter, and I think Corvette legend John Greenwood. The ebay Dato is not Morton's watch. I have two. I believe Autavias were awarded in '71, but I am not sure. Morton won the National Championship in 71 as well, but gave that watch to his brother because it "was too gaudy". From his description, it sounds like an Autavia. He thinks that his brother no longer has the watch. Milt said that he thinks Vasek Polak (his car owner) kept the watch from his championship.
I have contacted the SCCA and I am trying to find out which Heuers were given on each year.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE