The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Interesting Message About Current Market *LINK*

Interesting.
A few hours ago, a posted a message on Whatchuseek watchforum about 7 Omega ploprofs being on ebay simultaneously right now.
This is like having 7 Shiffert auctions on ebay.
After the Omegamania auction-event prices had gone to the roof, and now people anticipating decline in prices, are in a hurry to sell.

The good thing about vintage Heuers is that, in general, they don't fluctate too much and there are relatively few collectors-dealers who try to speculate and make huge profits. It seems that most people who buy a Heuer are less inclined to sell.

Questions:
Why is the market so dry from good Heuers? Is this going to change? Who and why bought the good Heuers? If a model made in only 2000 pieces, like the Ploprof can be found so easily on ebay, why can't we find good Heuers anymore?

One last point. While I often think that some prices mentioned here are higher than the real market prices, I do believe that most good vintage watches (Heuer, Longines, Omega and others) are teriffic bargains in comparison to current production watches. I wonder when people will wake up and start getting more interested in vintage watches. The fact that there are not many interesting Heuers available also limits the possibility for new collectors to get interested in them.

Sorry for the confusing post ;-)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE