The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: DE LA CRISIS - watch prices - YOU OPINION

The view from Italy: the better preserved pieces are still holding their value.
Unfortunately, I would say, because this crisis would be a great opportunity to buy: what is coming to the market instead are less than satisfactory items (with the obvious exceptions) at much cheaper prices.
This is valid for all brands and for all different type of sale: (Ebay vs online retailers vs auction houses vs traditional high street shops etc..). In the case of high street merchants, a few told me that they have nearly stopped buying second hand stuff because they have been literally flooded with items: they have become a lot more selective. It seems that the best pieces are held by people that are still liquid or do not have serious cash problems.

Why the Italians are "going crazy" on Heuers? I am not entirely sure the are actually going crazy, but the main reason could be the lack of supply: retailers still consider vintage Heuers something not worth a look, and they tend to snub them in favour of other brands (i.e.: Rolexes and Rolexes and Rolexes).

A question for ape: I believe the information on the 1655 is incorrect. I have seen a few examples trading recently on line between € 11000 and € 16000 including a very recent € 15000 item (very well preserved: I have seen it in the preview here in Milan) sold chez Patrizzi in Geneva 10 days ago.

: So some info from the watch front...not the swine flew front...may
: be we can cross a swine and a chicken flew for a swine-chicken
: flew...any biochemists outside?

: - so some info. Sifferts till strong at 4000 euro currently. the
: market is VERY dry; we have just seen a manual siffert going
: crazy at ebay (AMH post)
: - the market generally for heuers is dry: watch fairs are empty
: - prices for heuers remain strong, may be strongest in the market
: currently: however not for Viceroy et al models: also the
: outsiders like Daytona, Monza ect have lost further in value...

: - tudors : I followed the monte carlos: these dropped back to 6000
: euro !!!!!! so 40% of maximum
: - rolex explorer 1655: dropped back to 6000 euro !!!!!! so 35% of
: maxium
: - breitling vintage: half the price in GMT, superocean, yachting
: against 2008; navitimer 1806 you get for 1200-1300 euro
: including bracelet in good deals. LED is 1200 (was 2800), led
: 9416 is still high at 1500 euro (but also was 1900 before).

: led and lcd watches dropped dramatically in the last few weeks. no
: matter which brand, conditon or completeness of a set.

: So any other observations from the non-heuer brands??? how about
: doxa, enicar, certina ds????

: ape

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE