The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Paranoid?

You would be too if people were out to get your watch!

I'm for wearing the watches I have too, but there are occasions when I'm more selective about wearing specific watches - the 1158, for instance, only comes out when I know it will be protected by a long sleeve in a shirt with buttons, rather than one that needs cufflinks.

I remember one incident when I was wearing a black PVD 510.511 Carrera, like Jeff in a quiet, climate-controlled office. But you have to take lunch, and walking back to the office afterwards, my wrist was clouted by a bike in the cycle lane next to me. Because of my reaction, jumping and immediately intently checking out my wrist, my colleagues were concerned that I had been hurt but I was in fact checking out the watch for scratches! It got off fairly lightly in fact, but I was worried at the time. The moral of the story is, when wearing a PVD-coated watch in a city with cycle lanes on the pavements, let your colleagues be the ones to stand nearest the danger :)

So wear them, you have three great watches. But as Darren said, David's suggestion to Jasper was a good one - get a spare case PVDed and keep the original safe somewhere and you will worry less - I believe Nic even offers a PVD coating service.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE