The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Not paranoid at all...
In Response To: Paranoid? ()

I think the advice provided is very sensible, and that wearing a new or like-new vintage PVD-coated watch is intrinsically a tricky matter.
I myself have a PVD Carrera 510.511 really mint and I must admit I never wear it, it's always locked in the bank as I don't even plan to wear it any time. On the other hand one of my daily wearers is a 510.501, again black PVD, but this is far from mint, and it can withstand the occasional knocks w/o tto much fuss. So, even though like Jeff I work in a safe and climate-controlled environment, I feel comfortable with this one that's 'nicely worn' but I wouldn't at all with a mint one, let alone a NOS...
And when it comes to spare time outdoors, or places where I may sweat a lot, holidays or other potentially dangerous environments, then the only one choice is a polished 510.500 with a few chips and dings, scratched glass etc., which can be defined as a very 'day-beater' in its truest sense.

I remember also seeing requests of people looking for 'nicely worn' PVD's, and I don't think it's just a matter of price but also or mostly of wearability.

Cheers.

Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE