The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some Reactions to Your Questions

: Jeff, I have never seen any Indy dials for sale, have you ?

-- I have never seen them sold publicly; but, I have heard of spare "special" dials being put into ordinary Carreras.

: Would Heuer America have kept these additional dials ?

-- I am not sure where they might have been; I am not aware of any supplies now; but heard stories a few years ago.

Why would Heuer keep these on the shelf and not put into watches ?

-- I suspect that Heuer would not have the right to make extra watches out of these dials. If customer ordered 66 specials, and Heuer had 100 dials made, Heuer would probably not be able to use the extra 33 dials, to sell privately. Imagine if they make special "MG" or "Shelby" or "Indy" dial; these customers probably have the right to control the watches, not Heuer. Exact parallel with the Obama Secret Service watches. Manufacturer cannot flood the market with Secret Service logo watches.

All this is a very interesting topic. Actually, it comes to mind now because we see the amazing work that Japser does, to find the old watches in the hands of the old drivers. In my opinion, this is the best way to buy them (or admire them, when we cannot buy them) . . . this is the very best provenance . . . beaten up on the wrist of a racer (like the Beloff Montreal) is worth more, to me, than newly-assembled NOS pieces. I am not commenting on any particular Indy watch; but this is a general thought, for all collectors of vintage watches with "special" history or dials.

Jeff

: Agree totally on the matching patina, interesting is that the print has some particular details.

: Cheers

: Arno

: www.heuerchronographs.com

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE