The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Only Four Indianapolis Carreras? Never Heard That Before.

I have never heard the suggestion that there are only four of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Carreras. Would this be the total production or one particular execution? Of course, I have also heard of these Carrera dials, sitting in the parts bins many years later, and being made into watches only recently. For me, it is this later information that would make me hesitant to bid on any of these "Indy Carreras" . . . if someone can link the Carrera to the event (or a team or driver), then I could get interested, but to buy an Indy dial that has been recently built into a watch is of little interest to me. As we have discussed many times, I want a watch that came out of the factory (in the original period), not one that came out of the parts bins (many years later).

Can anyone provide the link between the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Carreras and the Indianapolis 500 race?

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Jeff,

: Good topic. I saw the listing of this watch on Hodinkee a couple of
: days ago, and I have to say i like the watch, albeit the
: estimated price-tag is high. I have to admit, i would ponder
: long and hard about which i would have, our beloved Carrera
: version, or this AP version. I think the providence of the AP
: version makes it very very collectable, however only four of our
: Indy versions are known to exist I believe, and are just as
: sought after. I think the Bonhams auction will bring many
: susprises, and i believe Arno's Indy Carrera's will bring circa
: 10,000 pounds. In fact I think OTD should start a betting pool
: with the winner recieving some kind of prize...$5 buy in
: everyone? :)

: Regards

: Eyal

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE