The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Stein Jewel Rule
In Response To: Re: Real Autavia? ()

One of the first Heuers I bought off the internet had a "17 jewels" marking.

When I asked Jeff about it he said "I'm not so sure" (this was very early days of on the dash, with much less known and researched) "but I don't thing Heuer ever had a number of jewels on the dial".
Many (seven?) years later I still haven't seen a trustworthy Heuer with jewel number on the dial. So I think the rule still holds good.

BTW: I returned the watch to the seller (one of the early vintage watch sellers on the internet) and after a lot of grumbling about "those forum know it alls" returned my money, of course minus a 15% "restocking fee". The 15% loss at least cemented the lesson!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE