The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
10/10/10 for Jeff Stein
In Response To: 10-10-10 For 'Old' Guys ()

I'm not so sure about the "Old Guy" label, but here is my quick profile.

I was born in 1955, and lived a relatively quiet life, until 1998, when I began collecting the Heuers. At first, my collection focused exclusively on the dashboard timers, as I had somehow convinced myself that the Heuer chronographs were too big for my small wrist. These were the early days of eBay, and I had a couple of buddies who took turns, bidding on the Rally Master pairs at $1,200 and the Autavias at $300 . . . yes, those were the good old days!!

The focus on the dashboard timers changed a couple of years into my collecting career, when I began with the Autavia chronographs . . . first a couple of manual-winds and then some automatic Autavias, including the beautiful GMTs. From the full range of Autavias, I moved into all the other Heuers, and have owned Monacos, Carreras, Montreals, Daytonas, Silverstones, 5100s, Monzas, Cortinas, and even the Memphis . . . just about all of them.

At the moment, I am slowly moving away from the dashboard timers, and have recently sold several of them to new collectors who have wanted to build quick collections of some top-quality pieces. In terms of the Heuers, I have become something of a "Big Three" collector, focusing on the Autavias (from any era), the manual-wind Carreras, and the Monacos. I also enjoy the Seafarers, and the 40s and 50s Heuers, before they had model names, and think of these as something of a bargain. I wear everything that I own, and if I am not wearing a watch, then I usually try to force myself to sell or trade it away.

At the moment, I am determined to consolidate my Heuer collection to the "best of the best" dashboard timers, and a reasonable collection of the chronographs, but the consolidation process has been a slow undertaking. It is so easy and quick to buy them, but so time-consuming and cumbersome to sell them.

I started OnTheDash in February 2003, and the Vinatge Heuer Discussion Forum a couple of months later. I enjoy this community very much, and have been thrilled to see it grow in so many directions . . . blogs, other forums, books, auctions, and other events.

What a great hobby!! What a great community!!

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I've already introduced myself in Mark's earlier thread, but I sure
: would like to hear about you 'old' guys. Lots of knowledge and
: experience here abouts and I'd like to know about it. New
: members like me can use all the help we can get.

: And.....how about the one Rose among all the thorns. Sandra where
: are you?? Please tell us about yourself. :>)))

: Rick

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE