The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Our Autavia Prototype (with 28,800 VPH movement)

: I suppose that by now a few of us have seen the Autavia
: "high-beat" Prototype , with the Cal 11 movement that
: beats at 28,800 vibrations per hour, listed for sale on
: Chrono24 (shown below).

: I have heard about these prototypes, but I wonder:

: -- what do we think of this one?

: -- in what years do we believe that these prototypes were produced?

: -- what other models / references did Heuer use for these
: prototypes -- white-dialed Autavias, black-dialed Autavias . . .
: maybe some Carreras?

: -- who might be able to post photos of the "high-beat"
: Heuers, including these movements?

: -- how would we detect a "high-beat" movement proudced by
: Heuer and one made "in the basement"?

: Seller is holding this one for me, for a few more hours, so I would
: appreciate any opinions or information. [Of course, if others
: have contacted Seller, and are seeking to buy this one, I will
: understand that this discussion may be a little quiet.]

: Jeff

:
:
:
:
:

Dear Jeff

Regarding this Prototype, we had the chance to get one of this Autavia "high-beat" Prototype 204xxx SN, with the Cal 11 movement that beats at 28,800 al/h through a contact in Switzerland that sold this watch in behalf of former old watch maker of Tag Heuer in La Chaux-de-Fonds.

We straight after took our discovery to Tag Heuer and received a certificate from Mr. Christian Francesconi (Customer Service Director at TAG Heuer) stating that our watch belonged to nÂș35 of a production of 100 units (but nothing was mentioned in this letter about what sort of dial this 100 units would have).
We were told that J.J. Racine (he was the technical director in Heuer company during the 70's) confirmed that Heuer produced some prototypes in the 70's like this one but that it had never put into production other than this 100 Autavias and never precised if all of them where the same as ours (black/black dial). Did also precise that they where never put on the market.

From what we have been able to compile at that time, this SN of Autavias with Cal 11 movement that beats at 28,800 al/h were produced in a precise period during the 70's and should therefore have a close SN sequence.
We only have heard of our watch but there must be more of this out there...

Now Jeff, you have presented this Autavia for sale on Chrono 24 that has a total different dial and just wonder if the vendor did provide you with any sort of certificate or letter ? If the SN isn't close to ours, we may consider that it could put together Autavia.

This is our Prototype front look...

The watch remained untouched in all ways as Tag Heuer wouldn't touch the movement as they wouldn't take the risk to touch a movement that they wouldn't be able to fix it if needing any replacement parts.

The watch is NOS as we may see on the back...

The movement sounds beautifully and so unusual indeed... you would luv the sound Abel !

The back cover...

Hope we shall hear more of this Autavias or even someone on this Forum that would have one too... :)

Cheers;

Sandra

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE