The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Autavia (with 28,800 VPH): The Decision to Buy It

Based in part on the thoughts of some members of our community, I have decided to buy this one.

I am fairly certain that this one is "put together", the marraige of a 28,800 VPH movement with a Siffert dial and hands (in a 268xxx case), but it is still interesting to me and worth owning. I believe that my strategy will be to make a "special" out of it, putting this "special" movement with an appropriate dial and hands and enjoying the watch. Then, when I find the spare Cal 12 movement, I will have a "Siffert" for sale, which might finance this project.

In the end, it is the excitement of seeing one of our beloved Cal 11 movements beating at 28,800 vph that motivates this purchase . . . I can't wait to see the chrono second hand moving so smoothly around the dial, just like on the rival Zeniths!!

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts, analysis and encouragement!!

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I suppose that by now a few of us have seen the Autavia
: "high-beat" Prototype, with the Cal 11 movement that
: beats at 28,800 vibrations per hour, listed for sale on Chrono24
: (shown below).

: I have heard about these prototypes, but I wonder:

: -- what do we think of this one?

: -- in what years do we believe that these prototypes were produced?

: -- what other models / references did Heuer use for these
: prototypes -- white-dialed Autavias, black-dialed Autavias . . .
: maybe some Carreras?

: -- who might be able to post photos of the "high-beat"
: Heuers, including these movements?

: -- how would we detect a "high-beat" movement proudced by
: Heuer and one made "in the basement"?

: Seller is holding this one for me, for a few more hours, so I would
: appreciate any opinions or information. [Of course, if others
: have contacted Seller, and are seeking to buy this one, I will
: understand that this discussion may be a little quiet.]

: Jeff

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE