The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Depends on the watch and personal opinions...

Jeff

On a Monaco i'd rather see all lume plots in the no1 ideal scenario. However this is rare, so 2nd choice is some orignal plots, 3rd is no lume plots and 4th and the absolute worst scenaro on a vintage Monaco is a relume. Relume is less acceptable on a Monaco than most other Heuers, but i'd also inlcude any watch where the lume is applied directly to the dial/flange, so some Carreras, Silverstones etc...these variants should be left alone..!! Never in my opinion relume onto the dial, rather leave well alone!

However on watches with steel markers i think a relume is much less of an issue. Sure nice to have original lume but if it can be relumed direct onto a steel marker by a an expert who can colour match then that is ok in my opinion. For eg i have seen plenty of Autavias relumed and they look fine and i don't feel on this type of watch it greatly detracts from the overall look or value of the watch.

Generally though what i would not accept is a relume by someone who used a poor colour match or cannot apply it well. I have even seen some poor work from the vintage dept of TH recently (as mentioned prior) white looking non uniform lume plots on a 1133b transitional is not something i'd be happy about... :-(

Interesting subject and as ever there are bound to be differing opinions.

Rich

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE