The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Autavia 1163 Cal. 11 - Anyone enlighten me?

Stewart - in my opinion the watch will be original if all the components are original i.e. hands, dial, case, crown & pushers and Heuer signed movement. I would say the most valuable of these 1163 MH, the so called "Derek Bell" is the Chronomatic (obviously) and then the first execution. The rest seem to be quite abundant and with the Viceroy promotion, the 1163 black dial and white subs with red accents is the most common of the 1163 (more so than the Siffert and the Orange Boy). Because of that they have many characteristics i.e. V on the case, MH or Tachy bezel, steel hands with black stipe and hands with red accent. The chronology of the this mode is as follows:

1. Chronomatic
2. Plain steel markers, steel hands, 3,6,9,12 sub register, flat V in Autavia, cal 11
3. White inset markers, steel hands with black stripe, 3,6,9,12 sub register, cal 11 or 11-I
4. White inset markers, steel hands with red accents, 1-12 sub register, cal 11-I or 12 (Viceroy = Tachy bezel)

So, as these were produced in large volumes and by Heuer, you can expect some mix and match in movement, hands and bezel. One further point to note is the case. There were two types of 1163 cases: the Schmitz case with the pusher housing open top and botton and the Piquerez case with closed pusher on the bottom/underside of the case. Just thought I would throw that one in. There is proof that the Schmitz cases were used on early 2nd execution models but are more common on the later models. I am not sure which were used for the Viceroy but the example on the Autavia page is a Piquerez case (closed one side).
Hope this helps.

regards
Paul
www.heuerworld.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE