The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
It'll Take a Serious Dig Through the C-Drive

It'll Take a Serious Dig Through the C-Drive, but I am confident that I have decent photos of the actual stopwatch that Charlie Duke used . . . International Watch magazine wanted me to write an article on the stopwatch / timing / etc. . . . that was around four years ago, shortly after we discovered the John Glenn stopwatch.

NASA archives are awesome; you can find just about everything relating to these missions. The archivist in charge of the watches and some other equipment was very freindly . . . she had great stories about the "watch guys" calling her all the time about the Speedmasters . . . she said that I was the first to really show much interest in this old Heuer stopwatch . . . funny how that works!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Excellent Jeff, glad you confirmed it!!... the archive footage
: isn't great, but I was sure it was a Heuer shield... thanks for
: confirming it. Pretty astonishing really, they had all that
: computing power in front of them, but Charlie Duke used a Heuer
: mechanical stopwatch to guide the first Moon landing, pretty big
: news really. 60 million people heard Duke call out the timings
: at 60 seconds and 30 seconds (the amount of fuel left).
: Amazing!!!!

: I can't wait to read what you've got!!. From the split second it
: was on screen (I freeze framed it), I'm guessing it is a 1/5
: sec, two button, 60 minute version. Whichever model it is, it's
: very exciting!!!!!!!!

: Cheers
: Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE