The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Unusual Carrera ~ 7753D ?
In Response To: Unusual Carrera ~ 7753D ? ()

: Anyway, I didn't buy it based on lack of info & movement pics,
: which I'm half regretting, as it looks beautiful & it has
: sold already.

Yes, it had already sold by the time I read your email this morning unfortunately.

: I spotted this last night & thought it looked great. I was
: contemplating grabbing it, but, if I'm honest, I know very
: little about early Carreras.
: I was under the impression that 'panda' versions were sought after
: - I'm probably wrong.
: Anyway, I just love the design/layout. I tried to find out about
: it, which model etc, but I didn't find much, even on OTD.

Pandas are desirable, though possibly less so on the Carrera 30 than the 12. I personally prefer the 45 to the 30 too, especially on Decis with the blue scale compared to this black, but there's no arguing with it still being a great looking watch.

: I *think* it is a 7753D from 1969/70ish, but the seller says it's a
: Val. 92, which is wrong according to the MOAT, I'm guessing this
: is just a mistake.

Yes, I think they have probably looked at references for a 2-reg first generation Carrera. 30 minute capacity 2-register first generation Carreras use the Valjoux 7730, Carrera 45s use the Vj 92. The Vj 92 can be stepped down to 30 minutes but I'm not aware of Heuer using any like that in Carreras. Looks like a new model for the table though - torn between whether this is additional to the 7753 D with same-colour registers:

Or a later model replacement where the registers have become contrast by default, as they did on the 7753 T. I would normally favour that latter explanation, but both still have the tritium T on their dials where I would expect this to be absent if it was very late in the life of these watches. So maybe this is a 7753 DN. Just as well they didn't have watches with silver dials, tachy and deci scales with that naming regime...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE