The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: I half agree...
In Response To: I half agree... ()

I'm pretty tired of this attribution of racing driver names to Heuer watches. Except for the Siffert Autavia, which has a very specific history, I think it's a load of hooey. Even calling something a McQueen is in my opinion sort of dumb -sure he wore one in the movie (it was product placement, even then), but in real life he didn't wear a Monaco from what I have read. Here's why:
Unless the driver in question actually was closely associated with the watch at the time in a promotional sense (like Clay Regazzoni with the Silverstone I suppose?) it seems like over-eagerness to assign some sort of provenance or significance to the watch that doesn't really exist. So what if Derek Bell had an Autavia at one point? He also wore rolex daytonas, too, didn't he?
In short, I would prefer if people said that it was an Autavia "as worn by Derek Bell" than calling it a "Derek Bell" as if this is some sort of model designation or endorsement on Bell's part.

Having said that, I am dying to get my hands on a Jim Clark Breitling Top Time! ;-P

: Sure, I half agree. We're only human after all. Any associating
: with a racing driver is welcomed with open arms.
: I learned that I have a Stefan Bellof
: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Bellof), as he wore a
: specific Montreal. I'd happily call it that too, but then that's
: when the problems occur. If everyone starts calling them
: 'Belloffs', it becomes the norm, then people start calling any
: Montreal a Bellof & people like me 'complain'.

: The issue with the 'Derek Bell' is made more muddier because that
: particular watch is sought after (not because of the Bell
: connection), therefore more valuable.
: Herein lies the rub. If someone calls a Viceroy a Bell, they
: believe that it is worth more money. They may not be aware of
: the real reason it's worth more to collectors. I think that
: model has to be distinguished from the later Viceroy, therefore
: a name would have been applied to it eventually. If there were
: no racing driver connected to it, it may have been dubbed
: something else - like the 12-3-6-9 Viceroy. But that has it's
: problems due to the ridged hour markers or non-ridged.

: Any name would or could be 'hijacked' if there was monetary gain.

: Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE