The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: One Irony re the "Derek Bells" (and "Viceroys")

Jeff,
The story I read about McQueen and the Monaco is that the actor chose it from a box of various Heuer Chronographs.
Jack Heuer was friends with someone in the movie production business, and when they were beginning to make Le Mans, his friend called him up and asked if he would supply watches for the actors to wear in the film, since they needed watches and it would be a good promotion for Heuer. So Heuer provided a box of various watches, and McQueen chose the Monaco to wear in the movie. I believe the article I read this in said that no one knows what became of these exact timepieces after filming was over--whether the actors kept them or the watches were given back to the production company or to Heuer. Obviously the actual Monaco used in the movie would be the crown jewel for many collectors but I imagine it would be hard to authenticate!

: One irony re the use of "Derek Bell" to describe these
: Autavias: It is creating confusion between one of the very rare
: 1163 Autavias (low production, early execution, etc.) and the
: most common 1163 Autavia of all, the "Viceroy". As the
: usage has oozed from the narrow category (to describe one
: execution of the 1163 MH) to the broader category (any black /
: red 1163 Autavia), we are seeing some $1,500 watches carrying
: the $3,500 label.

: I suppose the more that we discuss it the better . . . maybe the
: next guy being offered a "Viceroy" that is described
: as a "Derek Bell" will use Google, and find this
: discussion!!

: By the way: I believe that McQueen actually chose his Monaco, from
: a table on which there were other non-Heuer chronographs to
: choose from (Omega, Rolex, etc.), but that is another story for
: another day!!

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE