The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Agentinian Air Force Autavia

Stewart,

Don’t worry didn’t bother me. Like you said it is your opinion. Part of the reason that I post about it is to learn more about it and get the opinions of others.
On that note I would like to clarify when I say that I think the redial is decent, I’m comparing it to other redials out there and not the original. Many redials in my opinion other than saying Heuer, don’t look anything like a Heuer dial. This dial to our critical eyes is missing things and wrong in many ways. The key to me is that it is relatively faithful and not jarringly wrong. I do plan at some point finding a suitable replacement; I’m just not in any hurry. If one comes along tomorrow then great, if its 5 years down the line then that’s great as well.

I may be in the minority but, I would like to disagree with you about the originality of the movement negating its military history though. I don’t doubt that this very well and likely is a replacement movement, and that the movement is the heart of a watch. I would make the analogy to a warbird like a Mustang, Spitfire or B-17. Would you say that those don’t have a military history if the engines, the heart of an aircraft have been replaced at some point. I myself wouldn’t say that because the airframe doesn’t have the same engine that it left the factory with that it doesn’t have military history. To me it matters if it is the correct type of engine. Military issue items get used, broken and repaired again and again. A watch movement like an aircraft engine is a relatively complex piece of mechanics and unfortunately they break.

Now you guys have me second guessing myself, and thinking I got an outright fake? I have more questions for later but I gotta go.

Later,

Eddie

: Eddie - I've just re-read my response, and it sounds a little harsh
: - sorry I didn't men it to come across like that.
: Have a hunt around for a dial - make a plea on here, I'm sure
: someone can come up with the goods & it'll look awesome.
: I'll keep my eye out on UK/Europe ebay & the usual places.

: Cheers
: Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE