The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
All very informative..
In Response To: All very informative.. ()

“So, how on Earth would fellow American members describe the season. ie. 'It's really Wintery/Summery out there'.. 'It's very Autumnal today'... so what would replace 'Autumnal' ?”

That really made me think for a little. It’s common to use sports, due to the close association of baseball to spring/summer and football to fall/winter. You might hear something like “Perfect day for baseball.” for nice summer day or “Its starting to feel like football weather.” for a cool fall day. Of course that would be American football that’s played from September to December/January.

I haven’t seen the series you mention but I would imagine that, not unlike many travel shows, it highlights what is different more that what is the similar. You’re right though, we are a vast country and could be split into any number of countries. Of course that was tried out about 150 years ago and it turned out to be a bit of a mess. It also comes up in Texas from time to time.

I’ve always been fascinated with cultural differences and particularly the differences of American and British English. We speak the same language but it’s so different. Cars are a good example, wing/fender, windshield/windscreen, hood/bonnet, trunk/boot and (convertible) top/hood, to name a few. You could go on and on with little things. Some I get some I don’t. Torch vs. flashlight makes sense to me. A battery with no charge is flat vs. dead, not so much.

And lastly Chicago style deep dish pizza is way better than New York style thin crust ;)

Eddie

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE