The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: All very informative..
In Response To: All very informative.. ()

: I’ve always been fascinated with cultural differences and
: particularly the differences of American and British English. We
: speak the same language but it’s so different. Cars are a good
: example, wing/fender, windshield/windscreen, hood/bonnet,
: trunk/boot and (convertible) top/hood, to name a few. You could
: go on and on with little things. Some I get some I don’t.
: Torch vs. flashlight makes sense to me. A battery with no charge
: is flat vs. dead, not so much.

Yes, just about every word for a car part is different! Probably as the two nations had separated by then so those words all evolved independently. We can say dead for batteries too - the difference being that a dead battery is just that, whereas a flat battery can be recharged (provided it's rechargeable of course).

: And lastly Chicago style deep dish pizza is way better than New
: York style thin crust ;)

Our Italian readers might beg to differ :) Whether thin or thick, it's not a pie by the way - a pizza in pastry would be horrible!
: Eddie

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE