The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: To Be Expected -- Way Too Much Nonsense / Noise

: That's not surprising at all.

: The dealers and auction houses couldn't get enough Heuers when the
: market was flying high. They fanned the flames and earned some
: good profits and commissions.

: Then we saw the nonsense / noise -- top-tier auction houses
: offering "put together" or Franken watches, and
: getting called out for it, in some cases very publicly. In other
: instances, buyers discovered what they had bought and tried to
: put them back to the auctions houses / dealers. So in some
: instances, we saw a bit of "pass the trash" . . . the
: same watch being relisted, but in this instance with the
: previous auction buyer becoming the new seller.

: There was so much garbage being offered (post Heuer Parade) that
: many buyers were scared away. I bought one fantastic watch, that
: drew only one bid, at the opening price (one quarter what it
: would have fetched at the peak of the market). GVM just did the
: same thing (with an Autavia GMT) at a Bonhams auction that was
: full of lousy Heuers.

Well 10 years ago vintage Heuers was a great experience,full of satisfactions and good people.

Then too much speculators and ridiculous (high)prices for Autavias mk1 early executions,Monacos black pvd,Skipperera...impossible to buy a Siffert at a correct price..and the automatics are not quality watches such as a Valjoux 72 for example,and no spare parts around(a big problem).When the price is right a chronomatic is ok,but when you see a prices like -and over-a vintage Patek something is wrong.

Not to mention the partial ''flop''of the Rindt reedition..not the watch we expected,too much big and not real heritage.Too much marketing and no real passion.

And 2 weeks ago at Bonhams i bought a wonderful Autavia 2446 GMT MARK 1 in excellent condition and FULLY original for a real good price and i am absolutely satisfied and happy.

Switched my collection to real quality pieces,(of course manual wind and column wheels) like Autavias 2446 family and Enicars Sherpa Graph(high quality and real rarity,and great drivers)and i hope the low prices trend will continue..we have a great opportunity to buy with fun again like good old times.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE