The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Lack of knowledge, focus on easy money...

To be honest, one main reason for me was the Heuer parade auction. So many (maybe too many) desireable Heuer watches for the market at one point. The group of "real Heuer collectors" might be not as large as some had thought. I guess a lot of collectors could find their "grails" there.

And the skyrocket increased prices in the last 4-5 years were insane. Dealers made quick money and even some very rare watches like early Autavias came out of the hoods and found their way to the market.
Prices might be weaker at the moment, but for me more important Heuer as brand finally gets the recognition it deserves!

Overall I have the feeling that for quiet a lot of "collectors" ( not here) it is more about status & profit. I just try not to care, as for me it is more about passion & satisfaction (not only in watches).
G.

I completely agree the Heuer market is getting more healthy again.
: Of course don't expect to sell your 2446 Rindt for €20K. But the
: good watches still sell for a lot more than 4 years ago.
: I was able to buy some very nice 60's Autavia the last 6 months.
: Watches I thought I would never be able to buy again. So it's
: not all that bad.
: Everybody is focussing on Rolex these days. I see really bad 1675's
: sell for €15k. Impossible to buy a good 5513 under €10k. 2,5
: to 3 years ago Rolex was going nowhere.
: Just to say that things can change very fast. In both directions.
: For myself I try to look for honest watches. Watches that I like.
: That can be a Rolex, an Omega or an Heuer watch. If the price is
: too high I just stay away.
: There will always be nice affordable watches. So why pay €15k for
: a bad Rolex? Because everyone wants one? I would rather wear a
: €250 Omega.
: Just my idea of course.
: B

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE