The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Serves me right ......

Should have known better....

"Do you really believe every watch they review is absolutly worth its price? You are either very rich or very naive. And that holds for Rolex much more for any other brand. Mass produced movement - not even serial production and with term "manufacture" there is not a bit of similarity!"

"I do not say all Rolexes are made this way, but, Rolex is mass produced watch, they do not have neither time nor the man power for detailes. What engine pops out must work, and it works reliably (except for auto winding which is obviously bad design and is prone to
slipping out due to jewel holding two
things. Engine pops out e.g. Valjoux 7750
and it works great, but it does not cost
unbelivingly more than it is worth as
Rolexes do."

"I think problem here lies in the hands of
the people who wish to find justification
for their grossly overpriced watch and are
desperate to find anything supportintg their wishes."

"Whichever watch makes someone happy, is good
choice for him. But, no one should therefore
claim their watch is better than any other.
Expecially when his manufacture produces
900000 watches a year. Even if this
manufacture was in China, it could not
produce by hand that man watches. Lets not
be naive."

It is obvious that we both have our own biases and convictions, yours are exploited in your respose to me, which clearly shows that you feel Rolex watches are grossly overpriced and not made that well, mine are shown by my wasting my time posting on an Omega centered forum...shame on me for being the fool to bother arguing.

I tend to think that magazine reviews, while they don't show the whole truth, tend to be somewhat honest, or at least more honest than they are dishonest. While they might not flat out say something is garbage, I do feel they will do whatever it takes to tell the reader that something is not worth what it is priced at...if you did have access to the Watchtime articles that I brought up then you might see what I mean, but since you don't the point is moot and I am not going to type them out.

I love you you use the Valjoux movement as an example of a mass produced chrono that works well whereas the single rolex movement Dr. Odets showed was flawed when in fact the Valjoux is inherently flawed with rotor wobble, not to mention it is actually cheaper to replace a whole chrono movement than it is to repair it which say alot about design to me.

The only statement you made that I actually agree with is your last statement

"Whichever watch makes someone happy, is good
choice for him. But, no one should therefore
claim their watch is better than any other."

And it would have been a lot more powerful if you let it end there, but then once again your biases and convictions had to come through...but I am equally as bad since I just cannot fathom spening even close to retail on an Omega, but that is just me...at discount they are a nice watch, but not something I would hold as being a truly "fine" watch.

And yes the watchtime ads did feature pictures which were of a very good quality, also there have been many other pictorial reviews done on timezone which seem to illustrate the exact opposite of Dr. Odets findings.

Good luck with the Omegas.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE