The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Flaw in radial graining effect?

: John,

: Thanks for the reply. I've just read my initial
: post, and I apologize. The "radial
: graining effect" was refering to the
: silver dial, not the crystal.

: I too agree that the approach is inexcusable. I
: have heard backand the response was: (quote)

: "Under the circumstances, in view of your
: dissatisfaction I have arranged that a
: complete replacement watch be ordered from
: our Head Office to be supplied as an
: exchange item. May I therefore kindly
: request that you return the original
: guarantee card information cards supplied
: together with your original model for my
: personal attention.

: I must also take this opportunity to advise,
: however, having examined the original dial,
: that the 'mark' to which you refer, which
: almost underlines the 'Speedmaster' wording
: is not a scratch or flaw but has occurred
: during the manufacturing process and us part
: of the radial
: graining effect.In fact, such markings are
: present in numerous additional points on the
: dial. As such, these will almost certainly
: also be present on the dial of the new
: model.... "

: I find this difficult to believe, as ther was
: only ONE scratch on the face. Do you think
: that Eastleigh agreeing to exchange the item
: is in part a "silent sign" of them
: screwing this up? I didn't pay for a £1500
: watch to be opened up at least 3 times
: within the first few weeks of owning it!

: Your opinions on their course of action would
: be interesting, indeed the views of other
: veterans/newbies out there.

: Thanks again

: Nafees

Actually, I apologize. You did say "face", not "crystal" in your post. I think I need more caffeine!!!

I still think you are being fed a line of BS. If they scratched your bezel and your case and left dust on your dial, who's to say that they didn't also scratch your dial? Given their track record, I'm not inclined to trust what they say.

To be perfectly honest, though, Omega typically agrees to a replacement only as a last resort. Normally they'd rather fix the watch than have to give you a brand new one, so the fact that they are making this gesture is a positive sign. Based on what you've described, I certainly feel you deserve to get a replacement, but I'm surprised that Omega agreed to give you one so readily.

You do have a point about Omega not having to admit any wrongdoing by giving you the new watch. I'm sure they're doing this to keep you happy without having to address the fact that their service center did an abysmal job in trying to repair your watch. So, yes, it's possible that Omega knows there are problems with their service center but would rather not take the time to address them. They certainly haven't done much to fix their US service center, either, so this is a company-wide problem that Omega needs to address YESTERDAY.

Let us know when your new watch arrives and if you are satisfied with it. Hopefully this one will be 100% problem-free.

Best of luck,
John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE