The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Take on the Last Two Decades

So I went to the vintage car races in Monterey, California circa 1996, and there were some vendors in the infield / paddock. One of the vendors from the U. K. had a pair of Heuer dashboard timers, and I thought to myself, "those look pretty cool". This vendor also had an old Monaco chronograph, and he told me that it was probably worth over $1,000, so I slowly backed away and went to the next booth. I started playing with this thing called eBay in late 1998, and it was good fun. Only a handful of us buying these old dashboard timers, so we kind of took turns, to be sure that we would not be bidding against each other. After I had bagged a few of them, and started dabbling with the chronographs, this buddy of mine Chuck Maddox said that it would be good to start a website, to show the different dashboard timers. I imagined that some other guy would do a site for the chronographs. Well, one thing led to another, and here we are 16-1/2 years later, still playing with the watches and the website, and enjoying a fantastic community that has developed. We used to do year-end postings, but now we hardly do postings at all . . . just this lazy-man's FB and Instagram. But it's been a hell of a good ride, meeting folks like Little John Cote along the way.

Which raises the question, who is Big John Cote? And how big is he? I believe I once knew the answer to this, but a year-end reminder would be welcomed.

Wishing everyone enjoyable holidays and a great 2020!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I stumbled upon Jeff's site years ago when trying to research a
: Heuer Carrera 45 Dato (Landeron) I had just purchased with the
: Wings & Wheels logo of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on
: the dial. The link led me to history, photos, auction data etc.
: As I looked at and read more and more of what was on OTD I
: became a confirmed Heuer Nerd. I became obsessed. I acquired
: more Heuer wrist watches. I bought every stopwatch I saw at flea
: markets and yard sales. I even acquired a Dash Timer or two. I
: got to be friends with Jeff and other Heuer Nerds. This place
: and the watches it celebrates have take over my otherwise
: miserable life. My wife hates me...my kid chuckles and raises
: his eyebrows. The dogs avoid me. None of this happened when I
: was simply a pocket watch and lowly off brand wrist watch
: collector in the previous 40 years of my collecting career.
: Curse you Jeff Stein and all of your nerdly followers.

: Happiest of the holidays to you all and my 2020 be a banner year in
: all of your collecting efforts.

: Little Johnny Cote
: Retired Full Time Nerd.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE