The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Happy to Estimate Current Value for Any Heuer
In Response To: good intentions ()

But it was not that long ago when someone (usually new to the forum) asked "what is the price of xxx model"
How could you convince and explain to such a person that there are not fixed prices?

For anyone who poses such a question, I will be happy to answer. Post some photos, and give the basic description, and our forum participants are ready, willing and able to suggest current value for any Heuer. At any given time, I am happy to provide an estimate of the market value of any Heuer that we see. [And if you saw the "inbox" on my e-mail, you would see several of these estimates each week.] Still, I think that it is useful to try to gather information into a table, rather than dozens of one-off valuations.

Sorry if people will not read the introduction and disclaimers. As someone who writes prospectuses, annual and quarterly reports and other disclosure documents for a living, I have learned that you have to write for people who will make some effort to understand what they are reading, not for the "lowest common denominator". Writers make a lot of effort; sometimes the readers have to also make an effort, rather than just glancing at a table and hoping that it will provide the information, with no thought or analysis on their part.

Maybe when the Dow Jones Industrial Index, the price of oil, and the dollar / euro / yen exchange rates stabilize, we should update the Price Guide. Until then, readers will have to do a bit of extrapolation / estimation. That's really the best we can do [unless I quit my day job].

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Jeff,

: I do not doubt your intentions. But it was not that long ago when
: someone (usually new to the forum) asked "what is the price
: of xxx model"
: How could you convince and explain to such a person that there are
: not fixed prices? That photos, coincidence , reputation of the
: seller, exchange rates and economic environment play a major
: role in determining the price. People want easy answers and more
: often that not they don't bother to read the disclaimers. And
: last but not least most regulars here (me included) would like
: to think (like DC put it) Heuers to have higher value than they
: really have, so their estimates could be biased.

: I'm sure your intentions are good and your efforts very valuable to
: all Heuer collectors.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE