The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Gray Manual-Wind Monacos

: When I look at the three-subdial versions now I have a stronger
: preference for the all grey version. For some reason the
: grey-black version's dial looks very busy to me with different
: colours, lots of time markers etc etc. That of course is my
: personal opinion/ taste. What about you..

Good question Ron.

I'm not sure the classic 3-6-9 tri-compax layout works as well in the square case of the Monaco as in a round (or roundish) case - I prefer two registers generally over three anyway... It could be because the 12 hour register is smaller on the Monacos, that loses it a bit of visual balance for me. Wonder how it would look if they were all the same size, somewhere between the 12 hour and the seconds/30 mins registers.

But you're not asking about number of registers, so that's kind of irrelevant! In a straight fight between the grey/grey and the grey/black, I'd have to agree with you - I normally like contrast registers a lot, but the subtlety of the grey on grey is very appealing and just wins the day for me.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE