The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
OK, Gentlemen . . . Time to Update the Price Guide

It looks as though the consensus here is that the next "Big Thing" should be an update of the Price Guide. So let me ponder the best methodology for getting your input and price ideas, and we can start the project soon . . . maybe with a September [something] launch date.

Before we get into the actual prices, I wonder whether there are any "structural" suggestions for the Price Guide? One thing that I have been considering is whether, in addition to the Price Guide itself, we should select a limited number of "bellweather" (or standard) Heuer chronographs, and try to track price in these more actively. For example, should the five "bellweathers" (or standards) be the:

• Monaco 1133B,
  • Carrera 2447S,
  • Autavia 1163T (Siffert),
  • Autavia 1163V (Viceroy) and
  • Silverstone (Cal 12 Red)?
Maybe these are the ones that serve as market leaders, or at least very good indicators / snapshots of where the market is at any given time? For example, if you will tell me the fair market price of these five watches, then I will have a pretty good idea of where many other Heuers will be priced. Are there other structural suggestions that would make the Price Guide more useful?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

from http://www.investorglossary.com/bellwether.htm --

A bellwether stock is a stock that is generally viewed an an indicator of overall market or sector direction. IBM, for instance, is a bellwether stock in the computer sector while Intel is a bellwether stock in the chip sector. A bellwether stock is considered a market trendsetter. Since a bellwether stock is widely perceived as an indicator of market direction, when a bellwether stock in any sector slips, the entire sector may see an overall drop in prices. Conversely, when a bellwether stock goes up in price, an entire sector may ride up on its coattails. Bellwether stocks are generally considered to be blue chip stocks and are typically heavily-traded. The largest bellwether stocks (i.e. Wal-Mart, GE, etc.) are viewed by some investors as a gauge for the entire economy / market.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE