The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Bellweathers (Standards) Seem More Stable
In Response To: ...in and out of favour... ()

While we have seen some of the bellweathers (standards) move up in price, I'm not sure that I have seen any of them really go out of favor. Of the initial bellweathers that I suggested, the best example might be the Viceroys. At the top of the market, we were seeing some move in the $2,000 range, and then they settled back into the $1,300 to $1,500 range. I'm not sure that they really went out of favor, but maybe the price "got ahead of itself" and then settled back to where it belonged. One of the ideas of the bellweathers would be to have a short list, where the market is relatively deep, and we try to track them more closely. For these models, that have a "deeper" market (more samples), we could also provide more data (columns) based on condition -- near mint / beater / NOS / near mint with box and papers. It would be much more difficult to have these multiple columns where the market is thinner.

All this is just to bat around some thoughts, and consider whether (and how) we might improve the format. I am also of the school that says "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" . . . still, always looking for suggestions for improvements.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I agree the bellweathers are a good idea to make it more
: manageable, but also we have to acknowledge that some watches
: come into and out of favour.
: A good example (actually I was discussing it with a very old time
: Heuer guy, Jonathan S) is the Monza, which if my memory is
: correct, was not that valued as a Heuer model, now, perhaps with
: the help of Arno's backhistory, it is much more sought after.
: Similarly I can remember when Montreal's were considered too
: ungainly and could be picked up for much less than other models.

: I'm not sure if there are models that have become unfashionable, I
: have to think a bit more about that one. Anyone have any idea

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE