The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: "Classic" NOS versus "Put Together" NOS ? ? ?

Jeff

Well i do think we need to be careful how far we go. There are not many collectors i know of who do not own some kind of "put together watch" whether it be a non original dial, case or hands.

I think "put together nos watches" are worth slightly more than mint (if i was using my own price guide on Monacos) for instance and they seem to sell quite happily at those levels. however i agree a actual nos watch on orignal strap is worth more, not convinced its worth 33% more but its certainly worth more for sure.

The big problem is how you would dissprove a very good put together version over an original nos. If the hands are original and lume matches (and is aged not modern greenish colour) and with good patina and the dial and case are mint and not polished i'm not convinced how you would actually tell and maybe more importantly how mnay people "outside" of the core top tier collectors would care massively. Its poor lume and servic ehands that ruin many "mint close nos etc" watches in my opinion.

Retailers should in my opinion declare this, yes. NOS means an unworn example and MINT means pretty much nos condition but worn slightly. However much of this is an opinion, this just happens to be mine...

: Richard:

: I'm not sure I understand the "put together NOS"
: scenario. How likely is it that anyone has the true NOS parts,
: never used in a watch and not of the "service"
: variety, almost 40 years after the originals were made? If
: seller describes as "put together NOS", then I suspect
: that the loss of value is more than "slight" . . .
: maybe something like 33% discount?

: And then we have the big question: Should seller make disclsoure
: that the watch is "put together NOS", rather than
: "classic NOS"? Maybe this is the key, to keep the
: buyers and sellers on the same page and avoid any
: disappointments or misunderstandings.

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE