The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Silverstone rarer but...
In Response To: Re: Silverstone rarer but... ()

Indeed Mark its having opinions that makes the world so diverse, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. I guess on Monacos the whole film issue makes a big difference but also its a unique looking piece, to me Carreras and Autavias are not...

On McQueen consider the effect he had on the 1655 Rolex and he literally never wore it, personally, for a film or even an advert! Le Mans is a major film to a certain demographic group, although its a cr@p film its very cool, cool goes a long way apparently !!

R

: You can buy the pedigree and history of the Monaco, and more on
: top, for a much cheaper price. It's called Carrera. Or Autavia.

: The racers, the engineers, they wore those. Fewer wore Monacos.
: Steve McQueen wore one that he was supplied with for a film. Do
: I think Steve's a cool(er king) actor? Yes. Do I think that
: gives the watch the same cachet as what the racers were wearing?
: Not for me.

: How much of the allure of the Monaco is retrospective, rose-tinted
: and something of a fashion thing? Jack Heuer has said that, at
: the time, the Monacos weren't that much of a success.

: Yes, I don't "get" Monacos. I don't see the attraction, I
: don't know why they are at such a premium to everything else. I
: don't I ever will.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE