The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Everyone Makes Mistakes; Some Fewer than Others

Everyone makes mistakes. But I am guessing that the great brands make fewer of them than the lesser brands. We have to strain to think of Ferrari's "mistakes", and then we can blame government regulations, economic conditions, or even prevailing bad taste in the era. I suspect that it's the same in the watch world . . . not too many "mistakes" by Patek or Vacheron . . . a lot more mistakes by the lesser brands.

To my eye, Heuer made relatively few mistakes; when they did make the mistakes, I excuse them for trying to sell too many watches to the "masses"; sometimes, that's what they had to do to stay in business. There is also greatness in recovering from the mistakes, and moving forward. Heuer seems to have found its way again, after some of the bad years.

Fun discussion!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: There was a great post on here once about the Mustang's evolution:

:
: http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?noframes;read=32170

: The worst phase has to be the one that produced this monstrosity in
: need of a nose job:

:

: And forza Ferrari! You know some of them are ugly, you know some of
: them don't drive as well as the name deserves, but you still
: would!

: As a child, I was convinved that 911s were the business until a
: school trip to Germany, when a 288 GTO by the side of the road
: converted me. I was already a Ferrari fan in F1 but that sold me
: on the road cars too:

:
:

: And set in stone by the 959 v F40 battle - the Porsche a very
: sophisticated, controllable very fast car, the Ferrari a monster
: that might bite your head off but it would be the most fun you
: ever had having your head bitten off.... well, you know what I
: mean!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE